The Los Alamitos Recreation and Community Services Department invites youth ages 11 to 17 years old to join the Los Alamitos Volunteer Program (L.A.V.P.), sponsored by Southland Credit Union. The program is designed to assist tweens and teens in acquiring valuable job skills and earning volunteer hours by offering opportunities to get involved in the community. Participants will give back to their community by being a volunteer that enhances City’s programs and community wide special events by supporting City staff in day camps, park programs, pre-school, youth sports programs and at special events such as the 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular.
For the first time ever, members of L.A.V.P. will have the opportunity to receive a scholarship through the City of Los Alamitos. Eligibility requirements include the following:
- Be a member of the Los Alamitos Volunteer Program for a minimum of two completed years
- Must have a minimum of 100 hours volunteered as a member of the L.A.V.P. program
- Must be in good standing with the L.A.V.P. program
- Submit a scholarship application that includes the following:
- An essay explaining what he/she will do with the scholarship to further their education
- Last semester of their report card. Must have a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher, employer, or volunteer coordinator
Applications will be submitted beginning on September 1 with a deadline for all application and all other requirements being October 11, 2019. Three scholarships will be awarded annually.
- Gold Scholarship – $750.00
- Silver Scholarship – $500.00
- Bronze Scholarship – $250.00
For additional information, please contact the Los Alamitos Recreation and Community Services Department at (562) 430-1073 or visit us online at www.cityoflosalamitos.org/recreation